Welcome to Musician War, where artists battle to get to the top spot of the “Book Me” list for a whole 6 months! Please read the following: Entry, General and Voting rules before applying for the MusicianWar Contest.
- Core Entry Rule: The main instrument in any entry must be played by the named competitor.
- Core Entry Rule: Posting the same performance more than once, for any reason is called a repost. Reposts will not be accepted unless posted as a challenge repost war. A substantially re-worked, re-recorded version of an entry is not considered a repost.
- Core Entry Rule: Do not solicit votes or otherwise try to cheat the voting system.
- Core Entry Rule: Do not attempt to bring outside materials (example: another version of the mp3) to the attention of voters while your entry is being judged.
- Core Entry Rule: All entries must be notated according to the notation requirements for each instrument category.
- Core Entry Rule: Any violation that causes a competitor to be disqualified will result in the loss of all posting privileges for a minimum of 5 days.
- Core Entry Rule: Vocals and lyrics are only allowed in Vocal and Songwriting competitions. All other competitions are instrumental only. Exception: incidental vocals (vocals used as sound effects) are OK in any entry.
- Amateur Competition in Amateur War is voluntary. No one is required to compete as an amateur.
- Amateur Amateur competition does not affect a competitor’s win/loss statistics.
- Amateur Amateur competition is limited to members who are not in 500 Club and have not “graduated” from Amateur competition for that instrument.
- Amateur An amateur graduates from Amateur competition, and is barred from further amateur competition on that instrument, when the competitor’s amateur win/loss ratio is above .500 after at least 5 amateur contests for that instrument.
- Bass requires a bass guitar with four thick strings. Pitch-transposed guitars are not ok.
- Acoustic Guitar requires a real acoustic guitar. Nylon or steel strings are ok.
- Electric Guitar requires an electric guitar.
- Songwriting requires a wholly original song with vocals.
- Synth any sound-producing instrument or software is allowed, including copy/paste loop programs.
- Midi Synth requires a midi instrument be used, and a midi file submitted as notation.
- Real-time Synth requires that all keyboard instruments be non-quantized and performed in real time.
- Real-time Lead Synth requires a non-quantized real-time lead keyboard instrument.
- Team requires that all instruments be played by a team of members.
- Vocal requires a lead vocal unaltered by pitch correction software.
- Pro Championship Only competitors with current or lifetime stats of .500 (with at least 10 entries) or prior Pro War winners can compete in Pro competition.
- Championship Absolutely no beginner entries in the championships. All Championship competitions are for expert-level posts.
- Slap Bass Championship At least half of any entry must be slap/fingerpop playing.
- Tapping Bass Championship At least half of any entry must be tapped.
- Classical Guitar Championship Solo guitar only. No alternate picking. Classical/Flamenco style pieces played on a nylon string guitar only.
- Fingerstyle Guitar Championship Solo guitar only. No alternate picking. Steel string or nylon ok.
- Slide Guitar Championship At least half of any entry must use bottleneck manufactured guitar slide.
- Sweep Picking Guitar Championship At least half of any entry must be sweep picking.
- Tapping Guitar Championship At least half of any entry must be tapped.
- You may judge each competition once.
- Musician War members believe that judgment should focus primarily on the technical and melodic merits of the main instrument in the entry.
- We respectfully discourage voting based on the merits of secondary instruments or the notation.
- Championships have special rules. Know the rules before you vote.
- Challenge Wars (including Grudge Match and Skill Match) have custom rules which change for each contest. The rules are posted on the voting page. Do not vote without reading the challenge rules.
- Here are some of the common custom challenge rules:
Accuracy (who is sloppier?)
Complexity Focus (which one is harder to play?)
Composition Focus (which one has more melodic/chordal development?)
Hit Potential (which one more likely to be a hit song?)
Melody Focus (which one has a more catchy or interesting lead?)
Production Focus (who made the better backing and overall sound?)
Speed Focus (who is faster?)
- Your rank affects the value of your vote:
Judge = 1
Competitor = 2
500 Club = 5
- Bass (Standard Rules) focus primarily on the technical and melodic merits of the bass guitar in the entry.
- Guitar (Standard Rules) focus primarily on the technical and melodic merits of the lead guitar in the entry.
- Songwriting (Standard Rules) focus primarily on the compositional and melodic merits of the entry as a whole.
- Synth (Standard Rules) focus primarily on the compositional and melodic merits of the entry as a whole.
- Team (Standard Rules) focus primarily on the compositional and melodic merits of the entry as a whole.
- Vocal (Standard Rules) focus primarily on the technical and melodic merits of the lead vocal in the entry.
- Pro Championship Judge on the elements of composition, creativity, sound production and overall technique using the focal instrument.
- Slap Championship Judge only on use of slap, and quality of technique.
- Tapping Bass Championship Judge only on use of tapping, and quality of technique.
- Classical Guitar Championship Judge on use of classical technique.
- Fingerstyle Guitar Championship Judge on use of fingerstyle technique.
- Sweep Picking Guitar Championship Judge only on use of sweep picking, and quality of technique.
- Tapping Guitar Championship Judge only on use of tapping, and quality of technique.
All members are required to know these rules.
- Abusive behavior will not be tolerated. This includes profanity, racial or religious slurs, threatening or insulting a member, public accusations (cheating, plagiarism, etc), posting inappropriate media (audio or imagery), any form of cheating, and disregard for any written rule in this document. Offenders may be warned, punished, or banned at the staff’s discretion.
- Your Contribution: Musician War allows us all the opportunity to express our real and honest opinions. This can be sometimes be painful. But, when properly armed with the truth, many members have made significant progress in their playing that they could not have made before Musician War. In order to keep the constructive elements and leave out the rest, the following types of posts will be deleted from the message boards:
- Reporting Problems: If you notice a member violating any Officialclea rules, report the offender to . Do not post accusations on the site. Posting an accusation is a violation of these rules and carries a 5 day gag order penalty. Please do not take justice into your own hands.